Great win for Netball Nights this week to take them third in the league, but with a game in hand! Well done all! Click Here for the up to league table
Well done to all our youngsters, mainly in HiFive, but also some playing in U12, taking to the Court for the first time for Leeds Athletic today. Hope you enjoyed the games and will carry on working hard to improve even more.
Both our junior regional squads won as they aim to qualify for nationals. U16 had the biggest win of the day with 77-12, U14 had a good win as well 59-6.
In WY Junior League U14B won 34-18 today as they start their campaign to do well in the top division. Two of our U12s squads played against each other (with lots of U11s also playing up) U12B vs U12C, with the U12B coming out victorious, but happy coaches with good play from both squads. After an issue with entering our U16B team into the WY League earlier this week, it looks as though that has now been sorted and we will be able to enter a team, which is really important for some of our U15 athletes.
Please note that in the WY Junior Netball League parents are not allowed courtside, as set out in the league rules and communications. We realise that at some venues this isn’t great, but it is a league ruling that umpires are being encouraged to implement and therefore we need to comply.
Performance – Seniors
Our WY Seniors and Senior Regional didn’t have games this weekend. Next weekend both these squads have games, but Northern and Premier League have no matches. This week at Senior Training on Thursday, it is match play against University of Leeds side. Ruth, Lauren and Molly will sort rotations. Emma H and Sarah D are umpiring.
Northern League squad remain unbeaten as we are now well past the half way mark of the season, winning today away at Concord 35-71! Their goal difference is amazing at 311! Huge well done to all the players who have been in this squad. CLICK HERE for the up to date league table
The squad secured their second victory of 2018, with an important away win at Oaksway 54-70, with Leeds only leading by 5 going into the last quarter. This result means we are now 5th and need a strong finish! CLICK HERE for the up to date League Table
Parent Helper Meeting
Please put the parent helper meeting in your diaries, 6:30pm Thursday 25th January, GSAL dance studio upstairs at the sports hall. We’re particularly interested in encouraging new umpires, and coaches, as well as Admin/back room and matchday support. Encouraging more helpers, especially from parents of younger athletes, is all part of the continuous development of the Club and making it sustainable.
Injury and recovery
Inevitably we have a few athletes recovering and returning from injury and a couple of recent injuries. We wish those athletes the best of luck, stay in touch whilst you’re out, take advice when you’re injured and aim for a steady and sustained recovery.
In other netball!
- Manchester Thunder are keen we take club trips to watch their games, so if any coach/parent is interested in taking a group, let me know and I will give you a contact.
- Good to see some of our athletes showing their skill at the Yorkshire Coaching conference this weekend.
- Some of our athletes and coaches are supporting mini netball with Leeds Rhinos, which they have enjoyed!
- A group of our athletes had a day out watching the Battle of the Midlands tri-tournament with LBoro, Stars and Wasps on Saturday. Great to have their support for some of our current and past players who were appearing in both the Wasps and the LBoro sides, plus of course Anna and Maggie coaching at LBoro.
- Lots of our players will be in school fixtures and some will be building towards important nationals competitions. Good luck in those and especially whilst athletes are juggling academic stuff as well eg GCSE/A’Level preparation and university applications.
- An important Roses Academy Camp next week, especially for U17 athletes aiming to compete at Netball Europe in March. We have current Academy athletes attending (Laura, Alice, Anya, Georgia, Nat, Annie, Chloe) and new trialists attending from our club as well, so good luck to everyone!
Big thanks to our coaches and admin helpers for all that they do on match day, and a lot more behind the scenes. Remember to join our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter.