Quick reminder of parent information meeting tonight for U14/16, plus seniors if useful, 7pm, GSAL. Thanks also to those who are getting involved and helping! First junior matches start this weekend, so it has been busy to get paperwork done in advance of that. Senior matches start next weekend. Training continues each week.
Key messages from England Netball meeting with Yorkshire Academy athletes and parents - Jan Crabtree (National Academy Coach) and Liv Murphy (England Netball Performance Pathway Manager) delivered a presentation to athletes and parents from the Yorkshire Academy. Club Coaches were also invited so that they could feedback to their members. Much of the information contained in the presentation is available on the Pathway section of the England Netball website.
The key messages from the session were:
- Netball is changing at all levels and in all regions so there is more choice available, but this can make decisions difficult. Change will continue, so athletes need to be resourceful in finding out about options and smart at making decisions.
- Yorkshire is different because it doesn’t have a SuperLegaue franchise, but the situation of choice and change is not unique.
- Emphasis from all needs to be on the individual needs of the athlete, and their personal circumstances, rather than seeing a set and single development route. The system is very flexible and routes to playing for England are very variable.
- Clear message that the access to a pathway should never be closed if an athletes makes a bad decision and that there will be movement between different aspects, and that that is ok.
- Access to National Academy from 2018 will be through screening through the NPL (U19)/NPFL (U17) competition structure – league and annual tournament (timing TBC). There will be no national screening day like in previous years. In exceptional cases, athletes maybe recommended for screening by a national selector from another competition eg schools/clubs or another sport. Athletes can access the National Academy throughout the season rather than at just one or two points.
- There is likely to be further change as SuperLeague franchises take increasing responsibility for the pathway and as England Netball undertake a review of counties and satellites as well.
- England Netball ran through some scenarios of athletes in different circumstances to illustrate the point about different routes.
Good luck to our juniors starting their matches this weekend and to our athletes awaiting the outcome from county trials and to those trialling at Rhinos. Feeling like we are really getting back into the swing of things!